Movies are a great source of conversation. Most of us enjoy them, have our preferences, recommend them to others, and are happy to discuss them. These ESL conversation questions are designed for the intermediate English student. After internalizing these questions and knowing how to respond to them, they’ll be better placed to indulge in the all-important small talk.
The questions are below, but you may download the printable question sheet here.
English (ESL) Conversation Questions: Discussing Movies
1. What type of movie do you like?
3. What do you think of the Harry Potter movies?
4. Do you think a good soundtrack in a movie is important?
6. Which movies do you enjoy most?
7. Can you tell me the name of 3 horror movies from America?
8. What type of movie do you find boring?
9. Why do you find it boring?
10. Do you enjoy going to the movies?
12. Who do you usually go to the movies with?
13. What was the last movie you watched?
14. How often do you watch movies?
15. Who is your favorite actor?
16. Why do you like them?
17. Do you watch the Oscars?
18. Do you think your country makes good movies?
19. Can you name 7 different genres of movies?
20. What do you think a ‘storyline’ is?
21. Who is your favorite movie character?
23. Who do you think is the best looking actor?
24. Who is the best actor?
26. Who do you think is the best director?
27. Would you like to be an actor?
29. Are movies important in your life?
30. Do you like a movie with a twist at the end?